January Chess Tournaments
MCCL is conducting two scholastic chess tournaments in January--the Winter Knights individual tournament at Columbia Elementary and the Rookie Rally team & individual tournament at Blossomwood Elementary.
Winter Knights offers both rated and non-rated sections and a reduced registration fee for MCCL members who renew their 2018 memberships before they register for the tournament. The deadline to register for Winter Knights is Wednesday January 10th.
Rookie Rally is a rated tournament only, and all competitors are required to have a USCF membership in order to play. Rookie Rally offers both team and individual awards and is one of the largest scholastic tournaments in North Alabama. Deadline to register is Wednesday January 24th.
January 13, 2018 - Winter Knights - Columbia Elementary - 60 Minute Games (rated section)
Sponsorship Amount: $500
Where: Columbia Elementary School, 667 Balch Road, Madison, AL 35758
When: January 13th, 2018, Players Meeting: Rated Section: 8:45 am; Non-Rated Section: 9:15 a.m.
Round Times: Saturday - Rated Sections: 9:00–12:00–2:30-5:00, Time Control - G/60;d5
Non-Rated Sections: 9:30 - 11:00 - 12:30 - 2:00 - 3:30, Time Control - G/30;d5
Memberships, Fees, And Deadlines
- USCF membership is required for all rated sections, and must be obtained before registering for this tournament. USCF membership can be obtained online at uschess.org or by mail using this form.
- Entry Fee: $20 for MCCL members in all sections. $25 for non-members. (All MCCL annual members must renew their memberships in January each year.)
- Entry Deadline: Online entry by Wednesday, January 10, 2018.
- NO ON-SITE REGISTRATION.
Awards and Trophies
Rated: Individual Trophies for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd; Individual Medals for 4th, 5th, 6th and Top Female in each section.
Non-Rated: Individual Medals for 1st-3rd and Top Female in each section.
January 27, 2018 - Rookie Rally - Blossomwood Elementary - 30 Minute Games (all sections)
When: Saturday, January 27, 2017.
Sections: Open (K-12) Jr. High & High School, Elementary (K-6) Championship, Elementary (4-6) U500, Primary (K-3) Championship, Primary (K-3) Under 300. We will use your official published rating on the USCF webpage as of January 1st to determine eligibility to compete in any "under" section.
Round Times: 9:30, 11:00, 12:45, 2:15, 3:30, Time Control: G/30, d5
Memberships, Fees, And Deadlines
- 5 round Swiss, USCF rated. USCF membership is required for all sections, and must be obtained before registering for this tournament. USCF membership can be obtained online at uschess.org or by mail using this form.
- Entry Fee: $25 per individual. The registration fee has increased this year due to this being a team and individual tournament with a new K-3 Under 300 section.
- Deadline to Register Online: Online entry by Wednesday January 24th, 2018. NO ONSITE REGISTRATION ON THE DAY OF THE TOURNAMENT.
- Byes: You can modify your bye request online at any time. Once the tournament begins, please stop by the Tournament Director room to verify we have your bye requests recorded correctly.
This is an individual event, with secondary team prizes; team is four highest scorers. Teams may represent a school or home school only. Pairings will be "team blind."
Individual Awards: Trophies for top 10 individuals in K-3 Championship, K-3 U300, K-6 Championship, and 4th-6th U500 (this section only available for 4th-6th graders), and K-12 Open section. Medals to all individuals whose score ties for a trophy place, but loses out on tie‐break.
Team Awards: Trophies for top 4 teams in K-3 U300, K-3 Championship, 4th-6th U500, and K-6 Championship sections. Trophies for top 3 teams in K-12.