Let's Get Ready for State!
State Scholastic Championship to be held March 21-22, 2020 in Madison, Alabama
The 2020 Alabama State Scholastic Chess Championship will be held at Bob Jones High School in Madison, Alabama on March 21st and 22nd.
The Individual Championship will be held on Saturday, March 21st and will include a championship section and an under section in each age group:
- High School Championship* (Open to AL residents, Grades 9-12, Rated 1400+)
- High School Under 1400 (Grades 9-12, Rated Under 1400 and Unrated)
- Jr. High Championship* (Open to AL residents, Grades 6-8, Rated 1100+)
- Jr. High Under 1100 (Grades 6-8, Rated Under 1100 and Unrated)
- Elementary Championship* (Open to AL residents, Grades K-5, Rated 600+)
- Elementary Under 600 (Grades 4-5, Rated Under 600 and Unrated)
- Primary Championship (Grades K-3)
- Primary Under 300 (Grades K-3, Rated Under 300 and Unrated)
*The High School, Jr. High, and Elementary Championship sections are open only to Alabama residents and are limited by grade and rating because the Alabama nominees to the Denker, Barber, and Rockefeller tournaments will be chosen from those sections. You can download the Individual Championship flyer here.
The Team Championship will be held on Sunday, March 22nd and will include a school and club section in each age group: K-12, K-9, K-6, and K-3. Teams compete on four boards, in rating order. All members of a team must be grade eligible for the section and must attend the same school or be current members of the same ACF affiliate. Home school students may compete as a school team if they would qualify as a school team under section 13.3 the US Chess Scholastic Regulations or as members of a club team if they are members of the same ACF affiliate. You can download the Team Championship flyer here.
Online registration will be available at https://alabamachess.jumbula.com beginning January 13, 2020. Advance registration is required for this Championship. If you are not able to register online or have any questions, contact the ACF Scholastic VP & tournament director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
State Chess Championship shirts will be available for sale beginning in early March at the City Chess Championship. Price is $15. Checks should be made payable to MCCL. Shirt color is navy. We will also wear these shirts on Friday during the Nationals.